2022/23 K Tickets

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

winter
Blue Chatterbox

Re: 2022/23 K Tickets

Post by winter »

Really disappointed about the lack of Express card and resort charge.

It was convenient. Made sense economically and got me to the mountain for an extra weekend most years to get the 7th day or 14th day free.

Buy it in October and never have to think about pre-purchasing tickets, when am I going to go questions, etc.

The resort charge was simple and convenient. A rare recent misstep in customer service at K.
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

Fraudsters everywhere are lamenting the loss of the resort charge feature. Point of sale transactions are now much much more secure with the recent improvements in credit card point of sale technology, tap to pay, and the annoying chip, that takes a few seconds to read.

Resort charge features on an easily ‘hacked’ rfid card like the ones used for ski passes is likely going away everywhere, not just Killington.

The next transition will likely be that you can load your ski pass on your phone or onto some other digital ‘wallet’ that is then linked to a single card you can use for everything.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I never thought of it that way, but that has to be the most likely explanation. K does have the fastest chip card readers I've ever run across, so that's also a plus.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

snoloco wrote: Sep 13th, '22, 09:54 I never thought of it that way, but that has to be the most likely explanation. K does have the fastest chip card readers I've ever run across, so that's also a plus.
Sounds like the least likely explanation to me. Lots of flaws in the "RFID isn't secure enough for the Express Pass" defense.

Otherwise, i guess I need to throw away my EZ-PASS. I've had the account for almost 20 years, and they've taken down all the tolls and replaced them with scanners. But maybe they need to put the tolls back up, and everyone can use an app on their phone when they stop at the toll. Security, don't you know.

Replace the pass with an app, huh? Will the app be used at the lifts? If so, Oy! If it would just be for purchasing stuff, in order to get the passholder discount, I don't find having to pull out my phone to pay for my lunch to be convenient at all.

Society is rapidly going in one direction with this kind of thing. You will see RFID technology used for every possible application.

But let's draw the convenience line at Express Passes and Resort charges at ski resorts. Security, don't you know.

It's a pretty "convenient" explanation, though.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

“ Is tap to pay safe?
In some cases, tap to pay transactions can be more secure than traditional credit card payments. Let’s take a look at the technology behind them. Contactless payments like tap to pay or digital wallets utilize a wireless, secure connection between a shopper's touch-free payment method and your payment terminal. The customer’s card or device emits a short-range signal that sends a one-time code, also known as a token, to share encrypted payment information with your terminal.

This information doesn't include a customer's account details, like their name, account number, card expiration date, CVV, or PIN. What's more, the token changes each time the customer makes a purchase. That makes tap to pay safer than the old magnetic stripe method, which transmits the same credit card information each time its swiped. Meaning a hacker who steals the information transmitted during a swiped transaction can use it again and again, while the single-use contactless payment token won’t work for another transaction.

While some people worry about their card or phone transmitting their payment data wirelessly, a tap to pay transmission travels mere inches. This makes it unlikely that someone will get close enough to intercept a payment in transmission without you or the customer noticing. The customer must also initiate the payment, making it difficult to send a contactless payment accidentally.

It is really this very last item that is the biggest advantage.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Tap to pay is RFID
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

daytripper wrote: Sep 13th, '22, 16:52 Tap to pay is RFID
Yes, it certainly does use RFID tech, but tap to pay also provides security features like a single use encrypted token, and obfuscation of user and account details, not sure, but I don’t think is in use on a ski pass at this time.

My understanding is that as of now anyone with a simple RFID reader/writer could scan your ski pass, and then reproduce it, and if it was linked to a credit card they could then make charges. While using that same RFID reader on someones credit card RFID chip would not allow a similar transaction, due to the encrypted single use token.

Ski passes may have this type of advanced security technology, but I think in the short run resorts like Killington will use the built in technology provided by the credit card companies, rather than try to reproduce it on the ski passes/cards they provide.

“a one-time code, also known as a token, to share encrypted payment information with your terminal.

This information doesn't include a customer's account details, like their name, account number, card expiration date, CVV, or PIN. What's more, the token changes each time the customer makes a purchase.”
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

winter wrote: Sep 12th, '22, 10:36 Really disappointed about the lack of Express card and resort charge.

It was convenient. Made sense economically and got me to the mountain for an extra weekend most years to get the 7th day or 14th day free.

Buy it in October and never have to think about pre-purchasing tickets, when am I going to go questions, etc.

The resort charge was simple and convenient. A rare recent misstep in customer service at K.
I agree. I ski more than my kiddo. I used to be able to buy her an express pass. Worked out nice. She could break off and ski solo. Her parental contact
info linked to my account. She could charge to my account if she needed a snack or lunch. I took a year off from my 365 pass with the covid thing. I was not aware of the changes. I renewed my 365 this year. I probably would have stayed at Cannon this winter if I took the time and read the policy. Not sure it was even publicized or disclosed at time of purchase. I don't believe it is on Mike. Corporate can lick my wang. I have to review what I signed up for. Come to think of it? I thought the 365 came with another multi resort benefit ? Now I'm a displeased customer. Why can't it be the way it was?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Doesn't the 365 still come with an ikon pass?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

yes
ImageImageImageImage
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Have any 365 people received the IKON code ? ?
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
A_GUY
Beginner On Rentals

Post by A_GUY »

ski wrote: Sep 16th, '22, 15:41 Have any 365 people received the IKON code ? ?
Mine came in yesterday.
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

throbster wrote: Sep 6th, '22, 12:59 Walk up prices peak days:

Top US 22/23 peak-day ticket $:

Vail $275
Beaver Creek $275
Steamboat $269
Deer Valley $259
Park City $259
Breck $255
Winter Park $249
Northstar $235
Aspen $229
Keystone $225
Heavenly $225
Jackson Hole $225
Big Sky $222
Wow. good thing Vail is limiting the number of walk up tickets sold! :roll:
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Got mine yesterday.
ImageImageImageImage
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

A_GUY wrote: Sep 17th, '22, 07:54
ski wrote: Sep 16th, '22, 15:41 Have any 365 people received the IKON code ? ?
Mine came in yesterday.
Thanks !! Just found mine in my SPAM folder . . . . lame :shock: :shock:
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"