saturday june 1 closing day report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: saturday june 1 closing day report

Post by snoloco »

Seems like they need to crack down on line cutting, and spot saving for parking. If you want to get on first chair, then get in line early and stay there. If you want to park together, then arrive early and together. It's the same rules on any operating day at any ski resort, but some people are apparently too entitled to follow the rules.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Wouldn't you just "skip" over equipment (without owner) if you were behind it in line?
daytripper
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by daytripper »

newpylong1 wrote: Jun 2nd, '24, 18:16 Wouldn't you just "skip" over equipment (without owner) if you were behind it in line?
Once the line is moving, sure. This is happening before the lifts open. Lucky for me I'm never there before 10:30.
Grmmtnhkr34
Green Skidder

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

I have a k spring pass and it worked fine. It was only IKON passes that didn't work.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote: Jun 2nd, '24, 18:23
newpylong1 wrote: Jun 2nd, '24, 18:16 Wouldn't you just "skip" over equipment (without owner) if you were behind it in line?
Once the line is moving, sure. This is happening before the lifts open. Lucky for me I'm never there before 10:30.
most folks get to their equipment 30-45 min before the lifts starts loading. guess you can leapfrog skis if no one's there but the accepted thing seems to be leaving your skis there. this primarily happened when supe was carry your skis on.

late season with just a two groomer stripe, most folks wanna get on it before it gets trashed so the position in line is very competitive. within a half hour bumps begin to form. obviously yesterday, not knowing how many they made, folks didn't wanna get shut out on getting a t-shirt. during the season proper this doesn't happen. only during late, late season and june 1.

you can complain or play the game. and how the hell are they gonna crack down on line cutting or enforce no saving spaces. they don't have the manpower or wherewithal for that.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at the bell with GIS and crew. I always drop my skis at Nivis and walk around to get them.

First run very flat and nice..no people.

Second run with Liv4ski better bumps. Third run at the closing was awesome.

What a great closing party at the top. Champagne galore. Could not ask for a better day and crowd.

Access road parties off the hook until dark. sorry it had to come to an end, but my liver and belly need a break.

See you all at cooler in the mountains or downhill biking when rams opens.
Where is Happy Hour ?
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

This used to be the deal at the line ups at Alta. People would line up their skis and go inside GMD.

https://x.com/altaskiarea/status/1355312750503677953

Snowbird too…

https://old.reddit.com/r/skiing/comment ... you_think/
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

how 'bout this line. at least they're not leaving their packs to save their place ...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/DEuSgEtMjdM
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

RustyK wrote: Jun 2nd, '24, 20:52 Out at the bell with GIS and crew. I always drop my skis at Nivis and walk around to get them.

First run very flat and nice..no people.
Here's two wild and crazy guys in shorts.
IMG_4497 (1).jpg
IMG_4497 (1).jpg (375.42 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

The early April storm (17” reported), I skated up to be on first chair while one skier is already near the rope and there’s 3 pairs of skis laying on the ground. I go by the one guy, and then just past the 3 pairs of skis and take my customary spot for the Peabody Quad. His friend comes up and says “you went right by us” and I said “what, there was one person here for a quad, I’m a solo, so obviously I’m getting on, who of you is joining me is between you four” (and then just turned up my music). The funny thing is I don’t think the liftie liked them putting their skis down and walking away because when he scanned us and dropped the rope, he only let me by and stalled before walking by the other three so I ended up solo.
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

Pretty lame. But entitled people gonna act entitled.

So what is the cut off to leave my skis in line? Can I drop them off the night before and then show up 10 minutes before lifts open? Does it have to be my skis or can I leave a cone with my name on it?
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

skiadikt wrote: Jun 2nd, '24, 20:31
most folks get to their equipment 30-45 min before the lifts starts loading. guess you can leapfrog skis if no one's there but the accepted thing seems to be leaving your skis there. this primarily happened when supe was carry your skis on.

late season with just a two groomer stripe, most folks wanna get on it before it gets trashed so the position in line is very competitive. within a half hour bumps begin to form. obviously yesterday, not knowing how many they made, folks didn't wanna get shut out on getting a t-shirt. during the season proper this doesn't happen. only during late, late season and june 1.

you can complain or play the game. and how the hell are they gonna crack down on line cutting or enforce no saving spaces. they don't have the manpower or wherewithal for that.
Yeah, no. Next time, the choice will not be to complain or play the game.

It WAS a sour note on an otherwise spectacular day.

I think the people waiting patiently on the right side of this pic found themselves in a "fool me once" situation. I doubt it will go down the same way next time. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for those people (of which I was one. I got in line at 7:40) to simply form a parallel line to all that equipment on the ground. Then when the owners showed up at 8:45 to find their "reserved" spots gone, and told by everyone standing there to get in the back of the line, they would have been the ones complaining.

And I say all of this knowing that most of that equipment belonged to people I know. I could have easily grabbed my own spot up front, but I didn't think it was right.

Meanwhile, if people knew that K was going to make 1,000 or more shirts, I doubt the line would have been nearly so long. Many of us would be there early anyway. But many other people would not. The lines at the bell every other day in May don't come close to the June lines. Many, if not most, are there early for the shirt.
Attachments
June 1 2024 815 AM Line a.JPG
June 1 2024 815 AM Line a.JPG (210.17 KiB) Viewed 791 times
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

for sure the shirt thing was the driving factor in the "line" and it was really the first time i observed it to that extent. it was done to a much lesser degree the previous weekend or two.

as to taking "the law" into your hands, not sure how that's gonna play. but i don't see a system the mtn could easily implement. and yeah we both know some folks who got there ridiculously early and left their skis.

in any case, now that everyone's been "educated" will be interesting to see how it plays out next time.
Last edited by skiadikt on Jun 4th, '24, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Put up signs that say equipment left unattended will be removed, and that you can't save spots for people. Easy to enforce as it's cut and dry. That's what Snowbird did, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

looking at the web now and even sunday, amazing how the mtn was able to squeeze every last drop out of it.

3 days later, already jonesing ...