Killington Sold

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GSKI
Powderhound

Re: Killington Sold

Post by GSKI »

My bitch says you don't know what ur talk'n bout.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

GSKI wrote: Aug 26th, '24, 19:30 My bitch says you don't know what ur talk'n bout.
Am I wrong? I called IKON. They said they would still honor the add on.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Killington is still an Ikon Partner so why wouldn't they honor the add on? Even if they were sold to Vail, they'd still be on Ikon this year because once passes go on sale, resorts can't change the terms of access.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

LocalSanity wrote: Aug 24th, '24, 03:09
snoloco wrote: Aug 23rd, '24, 23:00 As for lifts, between Killington and Pico, there are 23, not counting surface lifts. Killington's average fleet age is 30, and Pico's is a whopping 47.

At Killington, the most needed lift project is a replacement of Superstar. It's on its last legs. I think both Snowshed lifts and Ramshead get taken care of in conjunction with The Village. So that's 4 new lifts and new cabins for Skyeship, which should have them in a good place for a while. They do have some older fixed grips that could be replaced, but aren't necessarily primary lifts, so it's a lower priority.

At Pico, the two Carlevaro and Savio doubles are well over 50 years old and the manufacturer went out of business decades ago, so parts are likely hard to come by. After that, the Yan detachables will need to be replaced, though their service lives may be extended with Superstar and Snowshed becoming parts donors. I think the Hall triples will be fine for a while.
Bonanza should be a nice covered magic carpet. Outpost can be (and basically has been) “hike to” terrain.

Golden should be replaced first with a bubble 6 unless that’s hard for the adaptive athletes, if it’s at all cumbersome for them, no bubble is fine.

They can probably limp the summit along for a few more years with the parts from the golden.
Agree - Bonanza probably becomes a magic carpet if it ever needs to be replaced. Not sure of the need for a 6 at the Golden the current quad seems to keep the line more than reasonable 90% of the time.
Downdraft
Black Carver

Post by Downdraft »

Elk Mountain Ski Area has also been sold. That was a hot topic of convo around the southern mid Atlantic ski region. Not same owners of Killington. No press release and transfer yet but deals done. No changes for this season.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Now that we know that Killington was on the market, that explains why it's been so quiet regarding any upcoming on-mountain improvements. Based on what we now know about the new owner's plans, I think it's fair to say that there will likely be some sort of big announcement regarding there 10 year plan that will coincide with the big announcement that they are now taking deposits on the new village units and I'm guessing that it will happen sometime just before the world cup so that it can be mentioned multiple times during the world cup coverage.

The only way it wouldn't happen that way is if they have some sort of ACT250 trouble going on. Has anyone heard anything new regarding that submission? Seems awfully quiet.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
GlenPLake
Blue Chatterbox

Post by GlenPLake »

KingsFourMan wrote: Aug 28th, '24, 13:20The only way it wouldn't happen that way is if they have some sort of ACT250 trouble going on. Has anyone heard anything new regarding that submission? Seems awfully quiet.
I’m not an expert, but my understanding is that town centers and villages are now excluded from needing act 250 permits.

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2024/august ... re-housing
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

GlenPLake wrote: Aug 28th, '24, 16:43
KingsFourMan wrote: Aug 28th, '24, 13:20The only way it wouldn't happen that way is if they have some sort of ACT250 trouble going on. Has anyone heard anything new regarding that submission? Seems awfully quiet.
I’m not an expert, but my understanding is that town centers and villages are now excluded from needing act 250 permits.

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2024/august ... re-housing
Look at the map. Killington area is not included.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
GlenPLake
Blue Chatterbox

Post by GlenPLake »

I noticed the map omission as well, but can’t imagine they will refile the act 250 permits with these new rules in place. It seems the new rules were designed just for this and similar situations. My guess would be that they need the infrastructure in place before they can get the ‘village’ designation, but just a guess.

“These interim Act 250 exemption areas will allow the development of housing now in designated downtowns, villages, and other desirable areas that already have sufficient infrastructure as well as nearby jobs, amenities, schools, and transportation options.”